Do not just make a living: Design a life
Author: Calvin Dorman
Well, most people go through life just like that. No goalposts. Going through life without a particular area iin which to grow and make a meaningful contribution.
It's as if they have "arrived". They seem complacent and content with no goalposts in their lives. Well, that's not me, and hopefully, that’s not you either.
So what formula do I use to achieve my goals and stay on the path of success?
I can give you five valuable suggestions that helps me when it comes to setting goals and success.
1. I have a serious conversation with myself from time to time – Discover, and be open about your present and future intentions. Make absolutely certain that any of your goals are aligned with where you really want to be in life. Pose questions like "Do I seriously need this change in my life and how will this goal contribute towards providing me with a better life?"
2. I break down my goals into smaller segments - Put some time frames to it by dividing it into short, medium and long term objectives. Try your best to be as visual and as honest as possible, by deciding whether the time frames are realistic. Once this has been established, you have to put action steps to the goals.
3. I write down my goals – A goal becomes more concrete once it is put down in writing as it is a visual reminder of your intentions. This strategy is especially advisable if you have a fairly long list of goals. Once it is in written form, it needs to be reviewed and assessed on a regular basis to see whether you are on track. Keep your written statement in a place where it can be seen i.e. above your computer.
4. I share my goals - Speak to a trusted friend, colleague or your partner about your goals and do not keep it to yourself. The advantage of sharing can help you get the support you may need from others, especially if you feel despondent and require some encouragement at some stage. There is no harm in sharing, because you are more likely to achieve your goals when you have a support system to monitor your progress.
5. I persist and never give up – Goal setting can be challenging at times and when the going gets tough, you might be tempted to give up. It is then when you must rise above your circumstances and think of all the rewards waiting for you once your goal is achieved.
Your success in life will depend on your ability to set realistic goals with a timeframe and action plan linked to it.
Irrespective of your present situation or your background, the above guidelines are simple and easy enough for you to get out of the victim mode and make a real difference to your own life, and that of others.
To post a Comment > CLICK HERE
For Calvin's ARCHIVED Articles > CLICK HERE